Everything You Wanted To Know About Christianity.......
Have you ever sat in church (or anywhere for that matter!) with a confused look on wishing you knew a bit more about the Bible; or what the Creed means; or what happened on the first Easter Day; or what you should make of certain moral issues?
Well if you haven’t, maybe you should because Christians need to understand their faith and be adult believers, rather than putting their heads in the sand.
If you DO have lots of questions or just want to deepen your understanding of the Christian faith, then you may be interested in....
The Bishop’s Foundation Course
This is a 23 session course, one evening a week for two terms (January to July) run by the Portsmouth Diocesan Board of Education.
The course covers a different topic with a different speaker each week (normally a member of the clergy from the Diocese).
Lots of ideas, differing approaches, discussions and questions; the ideal way to learn.
The course will be held in St Alban’s, Bartons Road, West Leigh, Havant PO9 5TE on Thursday evenings from 7 - 9.15pm. The first session will be Thursday 16th January 2013.
Term 1 - Starts 16th January
- Session 1 - Introductory session: Getting to know each other
- Session 2 - What is ‘Faith’?
- Session 3 - The Bible - Its Nature and Authority
- Session 4 - Outline of the Old Testament History
- Session 5 - Old Testament Prophecy
- Session 6 - Jesus and the Kingdom – New Testament Prophecy
- Session 7 - Reflection and discussion session
- Session 8 - An introduction to the Four Gospels
- Session 9 - The Passover - a Saturday session
- Session 10 - The Influence of St Paul
- Session 11 - The Nicene Creed – the formation of doctrine
- Session 12 - New Testament Greek – issues of translation. Reflection at end of first term
Term 2 - Starts 2nd May
- Session 13 - The doctrine of the Trinity – thinking about God
- Session 14 - Living in the Trinity – praying to God
- Session 15 - Atonement / reconciliation/healing
- Session 16 - Holy Baptism
- Session 17 - The Eucharist: A Saturday Session
- Session 18 - Reflection and discussion session
- Session 19 - Outline of Church History up to the Reformation
- Session 20 - The Reformation and the development of the Anglican Church
- Session 21 - Being the Church today: witnessing to the kingdom locally and globally
- Session 22 - Vocations to serve
- Session 23 - Reflection/Feedback on the course and final party!
There is one piece of work to be done (about 1,000 words) which will not be marked, but about which there will be helpful comments.
Each session includes a break for coffee.
There is a charge of £52.00 for attending the course.
There are two sessions which take place at weekends usually a Saturday (dates to be arranged with course members once the course is underway). In addition, the session on the Passover includes a Passover meal. Please note that neither of these day costs is included in the Course Fees.
There is a Course Chaplain to support you, offer help, and hopefully dispel any worries that might arise.
When you have completed the Bishop’s Foundation Course, you may wish to progress further. Following on from this initial Course is the Bishop’s Certificate Course; or you may wish to offer yourself for selection for training in lay or ordained ministry. The session of the Foundation Course involves discussion, with members of the Board of Studies, of what you can do next.
If you are interested, please contact one of the clergy team for further information or
Mrs Kay Lancaster
Diocese of Portsmouth
First Floor, Peninsular House